Every child willing and prepared to use mathematics to solve the world’s problems.
Empowering teachers as they guide children toward becoming capable, curious, and fearless mathematicians.
- Math should make sense.
- All children are able to learn math at high levels.
- Children’s thinking, not curriculum, should guide instruction.
- Conceptual understanding must precede procedural fluency.
- Children are able to solve challenging problems without first being shown what to do.
- Teachers are our most important resource and we must invest in them accordingly.
- School administrators must understand the importance of effective math instruction and be actively involved with this work.
Today’s schools need to prepare students for a world that will require them to apply mathematics to novel, complex problems. It is no longer sufficient to focus exclusively on teaching procedures and facts--students must understand and engage with mathematical concepts deeply. CGI prepares teachers, the most important factor in our children's education, to do this important work.